Teen Poetry Contest 2023 – JOY!
Saturday April 1 - Sunday April 30Free
Celebrate Poetry Month by entering the Teen Poetry Contest at PRPL!
April is National Poetry Month and teens aged 12-18 are invited to enter a poetry contest on the theme of JOY – with thanks to the League of Canadian Poets!
Enter for a chance to win recognition and a prize! Winning selections will also be displayed on the library website. The contest is open for the entire month of April. One entry per person.
Write a poem and submit your entry between April 1–30. Please email your poem to email@example.com along with your name, age, and grade. Additionally, parents or guardians are required to complete an online consent form.
Any format of poem is acceptable, including any written form, spoken word, or music lyrics.
- Written form: No longer than one single-spaced typed page.
- Spoken word, and music lyrics no longer than 2 minutes in length.
Must be an original unpublished work.
- Group 1: 12-15 years old.
- Group 2: 16-18 years old.
Please note: by entering the contest, you consent to having your name and work published online. We are unable to make winning entries anonymous.
Groups 1 & 2:
- 1st Place – A 15-visit youth pass to the Powell River Recreation Complex and gift certificates
- 2nd Place – A 10-visit youth pass to the Powell River Recreation Complex and gift certificates.
Creativity, clarity, originality, and the message of the poem.
* PRPL would love to hear and see your work.. You may address mature themes in your work, but we reserve the right to decide if overly explicit situations or gratuitous violence are not suitable for a 12-18 audience.
Rules and Regulations for PRPL’s Teen Poetry Contest
- There must be only one author per entry.
- All works must be original and unpublished in the following form:
- In print
- On the Internet, including self-published
- Broadcast or delivered in front of a public audience
- Previously published works will not be eligible for the competition
- Previously published authors may submit texts providing that the submissions are unpublished works.