Health, Medical & WellnessNote: Always seek the advice of a professional about your health concerns by dialing 8-1-1 for HealthLink, and to receive assistance in finding a family practice. Translation services are available in 130 languages. Dial 7-1-1 for BC's healthline for the deaf and hard of hearing.
Mental Health Support
- 310Mental Health Support - Dial 310-6789 (no area code needed) for emotional support, information, and resources specific to mental health.
- Bounce Back - 1-866-639-0522 (toll-free) for people experiencing symptoms of mild to moderate depression, low mood, or stress, with or without anxiety.
- Mental Health & Substance Use Supports (BC) - provides information, services, and education and awareness about mental health and substance use for adults, youth, and children.
- Heretohelp - provides information about managing mental illness and maintaining good mental health, including self-management resources and screening self-tests for wellness, mood, anxiety, and risky drinking.
- Foundry BC - access online and phone support for young people ages 12-24.
- Crisis Centre - call 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433) if you are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including thoughts of suicide.
- KUU-US Crisis Line Society - call 1-800-588-8717 for culturally-aware crisis support for Indigenous people in B.C.
- Here2Talk - for Post-Secondary Students
- Covid-19 Psychological Support Service – free support to anyone in BC suffering anxiety due to Covid-19
More Authoritative Websites
- Canadian Mental Health Assocation (CMHA) - Nation-wide organization that champions good mental health. CMHA branches across Canada provide a wide range of innovative services and supports to people who are experiencing mental illness and their families.
- Counselling BC - Directory of Counselling Psychologists, Counsellors and Therapists in BC, indexed by area of practice, type of therapy, location and more.
- HealthLink BC - First stop for non-emergency health information and services for British Columbians. Covers health topics, medical tests and medications, public health alerts, and more. Includes translated resources in Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, French, Korean, Punjabi, Spanish and Vietnamese.
- Mayo Clinic - Look up a disease or condition, a symptom, a prescription drug, a test or procedure, or sign up for the Clinic's Health Letter.
- Medline Plus - Browse health topics for specific diseases or conditions, get information on drugs and supplements, and find articles and illustrations on many diseases, tests, injuries, and surgeries in the Medical Encyclopedia.
- PubMed - Free search engine accessing primarily the MEDLINE database of references and abstracts on life sciences and biomedical topics
- MLA Top Health Websites For Consumers and Patients - Useful list of reliable medical websites covering topics like cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and more. Based on criteria like credibility, sponsorship/authorship, content, audience, and currency.
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine - US National Institute of Health site includes research on clinical trials, practices, and information about treatments such as acupuncture, herbal supplements, homeopathy and more.
- Radiofrequency Energy & Safety (Government of Canada) - Explains radio waves, wireless devices, antennas, and 5G.
Health Resources in our collection: