Technology Lending Policy
Who can borrow
With the exception of the “Educational Tools & STEM kits“, which are accessible to Youth, before you can borrow equipment you’ll need an Adult PRPL library card in good standing (i.e. outstanding fines/charges less than $10.00), and you will need to have been a library member for at least three months. Youth who wish to borrow items must do so with the permission of an adult who is willing to let them use their card and accept full financial responsibility for the items being borrowed.
**Note that technology is not available for loan to OneCard and Visitor cardholders.
View the Library’s technology list
- Equipment can be borrowed for up to two weeks (14 days), with the exception of the Radon Detection Kits.
- Only 2 tech items can be borrowed on a card at any one time.
- Equipment is non-renewable. Extensions can be made by special request only and will be decided on a case by case basis.
- When a hold is placed on an available tech item, it will be held for pickup for 1 week, after which time the hold will expire and the item will become available to other borrowers. A hold placed on a borrowed tech item will become active once the item has been returned and its box checked for parts and damages by a staff member, at which time the item will be held for 1 week. Patrons are notified of holds by email or phone, depending on their account contact information.
- Equipment must be returned in person to a staff member at the service desk during regular PRPL Library hours, and cannot be returned through the book return chute.
- Overdue fines are $5.00 per day. Cards with overdue tech items will be blocked, and all library privileges suspended, after 2 days. Fines will continue to accrue until equipment is returned or full replacement cost is reached.
- Borrowers assume complete financial responsibility for borrowed equipment and will reimburse PRPL for the repair or replacement cost of lost or damaged equipment. Equipment will remain signed out in the borrower’s name until it has been checked to ensure that all parts have been returned with the box and no damage has occurred.
- Library borrowing privileges will be suspended until overdue fines or replacement costs are paid.
- It is the responsibility of the borrower to save content produced using the library’s equipment before returning the equipment. Devices will be wiped clean on a regular basis.
- Exceptions to borrowing terms may be granted on a limited basis by request only.
How to book and borrow
- Book in advance by placing a hold via the library catalogue or inquire in person at the service desk. A valid government-issued ID will be required at the time of checkout.
- All borrowers will be required to sign a loan agreement, accepting full financial responsibility. This agreement will be kept on file until the equipment is returned in good condition.