First Dibs: Teens Read New Books First!
Teens registered with Brooks Secondary School’s volunteer service program get five-hours of volunteer credit for every book read and reviewed!
Teens can sign up to get first access to new teen books at the Powell River Public Library. This program is organized around providing volunteer credit opportunities but is available for any teen who wants to become an official PRPL Book Reviewer!
How does it work?
- Register with the program at the Powell River Public Library
- Get assigned a new teen book based on your reading preferences
- Read the book!
- Rate it out of five stars, and write a short (250 word) review.
- Submit the review and rating with your name, title and author of the book as a word document or in the body of an email to email@example.com
- Return the book to the library!
- We will email a letter confirming the hours after we receive and evaluate your review.
Book review criteria:
- We are looking for your thoughts and opinions about the book – was it interesting and engaging? Was the writing good? How did you feel about the characters and how they interacted?
- We are not looking for a summary of the books plot
- Submissions of only one or two lines will be returned with a request for a more detailed and expansive review.
Peer editing welcome. Ask a friend to edit your work! Edit a friends’ work!
How do I sign up or find out more?
To register, fill out our ONLINE REGISTRATION & CONSENT FORM
Contact Mel Edgar, Teen Services Coordinator at PRPL:
- or phone: 604-485-4796 ext. 213