Writer in Residence
Call for Expressions of Interest:
PRPL’s 2022 Writer in Residence
Residency Dates: September 6th, 2022 – November 4th, 2022
Application Deadline: Friday June 3rd, 2022 at midnight.
Details and updates: www.prpl.ca/writer-in-residence
The Powell River Public Library invites applications for the Writer in Residence contract. The program is an 8-week community engagement residency that supports emerging and established authors working in any genre. The residency aims to foster an appreciation for writing through innovative public programs that will engage readers and writers across generations.
The Resident has access to a designated meeting room in the Powell River Public Library Makerspace and will engage with the public through online and in-person programs such as one-on-one consultations, workshops, outreach to community organizations, school visits, and live performances.
Due to the uncertainty related to COVID-19, the Writer in Residence may be required to work remotely, and some activities may be deferred and/or delivered online.
Who Should Apply?
The successful candidate has a demonstrated passion for the literary arts which they are eager to share, and an ability to work with and inspire writers of all ages. The successful candidate will have:
- A minimum of two published books or equivalent performance, publication, and public engagement experience.
- Experience in teaching writing workshops, editing, and mentoring writers of all ages.
- Excellent communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work online and in-person with groups and one-on-one.
- Wide-ranging knowledge and interest in a variety of genres.
- Knowledge of the publishing world.
- A commitment to inspiring and supporting Powell River’s writing community.
- Must be able to work in Canada.
The Writer in Residence will propose a public engagement schedule based on a draft calendar of events coordinated by PRPL staff. This schedule will integrate and complement existing PRPL programs and will include:
- A launch event to introduce the Resident and their work to the community.
- Regular office hours during which the Resident will have scheduled or drop-in consultations with aspiring and established writers.
- Multiple one-day workshops and/or a longer series of workshops.
- Special guest attendance at pre-existing PRPL writing groups for youth and adults.
- Presentations at local elementary schools and high school.
- An end-of-residency debrief with PRPL staff with the opportunity to provide feedback about the residency with the goal of strengthening the residency for future Residents.
- A final celebration that will bring together the Resident, program participants, and the public to share writing produced in the program.
Expressions of interest should include a residency plan that outlines themes or projects the writer may wish to explore through personal writing projects and community engagement.
The Writer in Residence will receive $6000 for an 8-week residency running Tuesday to Saturday, September 6th to November 4th. This full time position (35 hours/week) may include days, evenings and/or weekends. The Writer in Residence will devote 50% of their time to library programs and projects for all ages, and 50% of their time to personal writing projects. This amount includes offsite preparation time and onsite program delivery time, including consultations.
Travel fees will be reimbursed up to $600 (based on submitted receipts). If the Writer needs to temporarily relocate to Powell River, PRPL will provide a $3000 stipend to cover two months of accommodation to be arranged by the Writer with guidance and support available from PRPL staff. Do note that these fees will be redacted if the program is conducted remotely.
Evaluation of Applications
Applicants will be evaluated based on inclusion of the following:
- A cover letter that includes a short author statement/bio.
- Resume or CV (In Word or PDF) with demonstrated experience in community engagement and teaching.
- Writing sample (10-page writing sample from a published book, and/or 5-10 pages of work-in-progress).
- Description of proposed public programs/workshops during the residency based on the above mentioned draft calendar of events.
Our vision is to spark curiosity and enable a connection between our patrons and a professional writer. Applicants are encouraged to identify in their cover letter some of the innovative ways their residency could engage and inspire readers and writers of all ages.
The successful candidate will be selected by the programming team of Powell River Public Library. All applicants will be notified once the team has made its selection before Monday June 20th. The successful candidate will be notified, but their name will not be announced until the residency has been secured.
More about us:
The Powell River Public Library is a single branch municipal library that provides equitable opportunities for growth, literacy, exploration and connection. PRPL serves a population of approximately 20,000 people on the upper Sunshine Coast of British Columbia, an area that encompasses the City of Powell River, the Tla’amin Nation, and the qathet Regional District including Lund, Texada Island, Savary Island and beyond.
Powell River is located on the traditional territory of the Tla’amin Nation along the Salish Sea. The area is renowned for its historic Townsite neighbourhood, hut-to-hut Sunshine Coast Trail, Powell Forest Canoe Circuit, and its innumerable opportunities for wilderness recreation and exploration. We can be reached via a direct flight from Vancouver, or via multiple ferry connections from Vancouver and the Lower Sunshine Coast or from Vancouver Island. 2022 will be our first year offering a Writer in Residence program.
Please submit applications electronically to Program Coordinator Sonia Zagwyn: email@example.com
Or by Mail:
Writer in Residence Program
Powell River Public Library
100-6975 Alberni Street
Powell River BC V8A 2B8
Window to the Region
Photos thanks to PRPL photo competition winners.
Graphics from the mural in PRPL’s Teen Room by artist Luke Ramsey.