LGBTQIA2S+ is an acronym for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, Two-Spirit and additional sexual orientations and gender identities including non-binary. Resources included on this page provide informational starting points for all library users, including youth, allies and parents. Not a comprehensive list.
- Life Outside The Binary - includes resources for nonbinary people and support for family and friends.
- National Center for Transgender Equality - Understanding Non-Binary People - overview on how to be supportive and respectful of non-binary people.
- GLAAD - Transgender FAQ - Answers common questions like: What does transgender mean? How is sexual orientation different from gender identity? What name and pronoun do I use?
- National Center for Transgender Equality - About Transgender People - understanding trans people, FAQs, how to support and answers to common questions.
- Trans Care BC - Two-Spirit - includes books, online resources, film, and academic articles about two-spirited people.
- Turtle Island Native Network - source for news stories and issues pertaining to Indigenous and LGBTQ2S people.
- In Their Own Words - explores of non-binary gender identity created by non-binary teens and young adults.
- QMUNITY - Youth Services - online drop-in spaces, our Bras, Binders, and Breast Forms Exchange Program, one-on-one support, and referrals and resources for LGBTQ/2S youth ages 25 and under.
- UNYA - Two-Spirit Collective - provides support, resources, and programming for Indigenous youth, ages 15 to 30, who identify as 2-spirit or LGBTQ+.
- BC Children's Hospital (BCCH) - Transgender Resources - Offers information and forms for: name and gender change, binding, tucking and other supplies, consent forms for blockers and hormones, and much more.
- Legal Aid BC - Safety in Relationships: Trans Folk - Describes relationship abuse, dispels common myths about abuse involving trans folk, discusses why a person might stay with an abusive partner, provides practical tips for making a plan to stay safely or leave safely, and lists community resources where help is available
- Family Acceptance Project
- Gender Spectrum
- PFLAG Vancouver - Resources for Parents
- QMUNITY - Support for Parents
- Trans Care BC - Parenting
Understanding and Becoming an Ally
- GLAAD - Tips for Allies of Transgender People
- Life Outside the Binary - Resources for Friends and Family
- National Center for Transgender Equality - Questionable Questions about Transgender Identity - A guide to help you decide whether or not a particular question is appropriate to ask a transgender person in your life.
- National Center for Transgender Equality - Supporting the Transgender People in Your Life
- Trans Care BC - Queer Straight Alliances
Words Have Meaning
- CBC Kids - They/Them/Their: Why some people use these pronouns
- GLAAD - The Ally's Guide to Terminology - Includes terms to use, terms to avoid, and other etiquette suggestions.
- NPR - A Guide to Gender Identity Terms
- QMUNITY - Queer Terminology from A to Q
- Radical Copyeditor - Style Guide for Writing about Transgender People - Guidelines for writing about trans people that includes modern language on matters pertaining to gender diversity.
- Words Matter - Guidelines on using inclusive language in the workplace, produced by BC Government.