Teen Writing Contest
Powell River writers between the ages of 13 and 18 are invited to be part of the first Powell River Public Library Teen Writing Contest.
The Teen Writing Contest officially opens on Friday, June 1, 2018 at 9am and closes on Friday, August 31 at 5pm.
There are two categories for writers to submit their pieces to: Poetry and Fiction.
One submission can be made to each category.
A panel of judges will select a junior (Grades 7-9) and senior (Grades (10-12) first place winner in each category, as well as a runner up.
The first place prize is: $50 to West Coast Thick.
The runner up prize is: $25 to Cole’s Books.
Winners will be announced at a reception at the Powell River Public Library in September 2018.
All submissions must be emailed with the Writing Contest Entry Form to email@example.com.
Read all the official rules (found below) before submitting your entries.
There will be opportunities during the summer for those interested in participating to work with professional authors and writers through events and camps at the library. For more information about upcoming events visit our events calendar: https://prpl.ca/calendar/
For more information, please contact Megan Cole, teen services coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-485-4796
OFFICIAL TEEN WRITING CONTEST RULES
The contest is open to teens in going into Grades 7-12, (born between January 1, 2000 and December 31, 2005) residing in Powell River and the Regional District. Winners are only eligible to win a maximum of one prize.
- To enter submit your poem, short story and nonfiction entry, email teen services coordinator Megan Cole at email@example.com
- The Powell River Public Library is not responsible for lost, destroyed, misdirected or delayed entries. All entries must be completed and received during the contest entry period as noted below.
- Number of Entries. One entry per category.
- Entry word lengths. Submissions cannot exceed 2,000 words.
- Contest Entry Periods. The contest begins on Friday, June 1, 2018, at 9:00 am Pacific Time and ends on Friday, August 31, 2018, at 5:00 pm Pacific Time. Only entries completed within the contest entry period will be eligible. Ineligible entries will be discarded.
- A panel of judges will determine a first and runner up prize winner for each category. The winners will be announced at a reception in September 2018 at the Powell River Public Library. Winners will be contacted by phone or email.
- The chances of winning a prize depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- A junior (Grades 7-9) winner and runner up will be awarded in each category, and a senior (Grades 10-12) will be awarded in each category.
- Prizes include one of each of the following for each junior/senior category:
- First prize: $50 gift certificate to Thick West Coast.
- Runner up prize: $25 gift certificate to Cole’s Books.
- Prizes must be accepted as awarded and are non-transferable and not redeemable in cash.
- The decisions are final and not subject to challenge.
- In the event that a contest winner is not eligible or cannot be contacted after reasonable efforts by PRPL, PRPL has the right to qualify another participant and PRPL is released from any liability or responsibility in this regard.
- By entering the contest, each participant agrees to accept and abide by these rules.
- By entering the contest, each participant agrees that PRPL and its trustees, officers, employees, agents and assigns is not liable or responsible for any loss, damage or injury of any kind arising out of or in connection with the contest or the prizes awarded.
- By entering the contest, participants and winners consent to the use of personal information for the purposes of administering this contest and notifying the winner, unless permission is otherwise granted to receive additional information from PRPL.
- By claiming a prize, the contest winner consents to the use of his or her name and/or likeness and/or voice/photograph and city of residence without compensation for promotion and/or advertising purposes in any manner and in any medium which PRPL considers appropriate.
- Claiming Prizes. All prizes must be claimed within 60 days of notification. After 60 days, prizes become the property of PRPL, and PRPL is released from any liability or responsibility in this regard.
- PRPL reserves the right to make substitutions of equivalent kind or approximate value in the event of the unavailability of any prize or component of any prize for any reason whatsoever.
- PRPL reserves the right to withdraw or terminate the contest at any time without prior notice.
- These contest rules are available upon request from PRPL.
- The contest is subject to all federal, provincial and municipal laws.