Book The Stage: Community Storytime
Wednesday October 26 @ 10:30 am - 11:00 am
One event on 2022/10/26 at 10:30 am
One event on 2022/11/30 at 10:30 am
One event on 2023/01/25 at 10:30 am
One event on 2023/02/22 at 10:30 am
One event on 2023/03/29 at 10:30 am
One event on 2023/04/26 at 10:30 am
One event on 2023/05/31 at 10:30 am
One event on 2023/06/28 at 10:30 am
Preschool storytime opens the story seat up to YOU on the last Wednesday of the month. Bring a favourite preschool-friendly picture book, song, or rhyme and share it with the kids. Sonia will find complementary books and songs to go with your selection! Email email@example.com at least two weeks ahead to book your spot!
So you want to book the stage? Here are some tips to help you prepare:
- For picture books, choose a story that is not too long (ideally no longer than 3 sentences per page) and has bold or bright pictures that will show up across the room.
- For songs or rhymes, think about how your audience might participate with a clap, sound effect, refrain, chorus or action. Feel welcome to accompany yourself with an instrument!
- Read the book/learn the song/practice the rhyme ahead of time – Make sure you are comfortable reading or singing the piece you have chosen, that you can pronounce all the words, and can get the pace of the wording right.
- Introduce your piece before you begin.
- Hold the book with the pictures facing towards your audience and place your hand at the top or bottom of the spine so that you cover as little of the pictures as possible. Leave enough time to appreciate the illustrations while keeping the flow of the story going.
- Use an expressive voice – Change the volume and tone of your voice to reflect the things that are happening in the story. Use different voices for different characters.
- Make eye contact – Be comfortable enough with your piece to look at your audience as you read or present. It will keep them engaged.
- Have fun and don’t worry about being perfect. Really! Your enthusiasm will translate to your audience regardless of natural blips or stumbles.